According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), a victim is injured by a drunk driver every two minutes. As a result of this alarming statistic, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration performed a nationwide poll in 2012 to discover alcohol use and driving habits. They learned that of the people they polled, over 30 million of them admitted to driving while intoxicated. This means that in one year, the amount of drunk drivers on roads in the United States is expected to exceed the entire population of Texas—by over five million.
Nearly 17,000 drunk driving crashes occur every year in the Lone Star state alone, and your risk of suffering an injury is extremely high. Therefore, it is important to know your legal rights, how to proceed with an injury claim, and how to get the compensation you need. To make sure you have the best chance for your case, the NHTSA highly recommends that you seek the help of a DUI lawyer. His involvement will not only ensure that your rights are upheld, but it will also help make sure that the guilty party pays for his crimes.
Unfortunately, not every DUI attorney is created equal. This means that in order to find the right lawyer for you, you need to interview potential representation to make sure they’re knowledgeable, experienced, and able to work with your specific needs.
So, how should you conduct this interview? Once you make an appointment with a prospective solicitor, you need to take control of the conversation and begin to ask him questions.
Ten Questions to Ask When Interviewing Your Potential DUI Lawyer
When you first meet with a lawyer, it's important to learn about his background and his understanding of your particular case type. There are many types of injury lawyers, but you need one who focuses on drunk driving injuries and victim rights. So instead of just randomly choosing an attorney, make sure the one you choose can give you acceptable answers to your questions, as well as make you feel confident and comfortable. Some questions you may consider asking are:
- Where and when did you attend law school?
- How long have you been representing DUI injury victims?
- How many DUI clients do you represent a year?
- What is your main legal focus? (Is DUI representation only an add-on to your main area of focus?)
- How often do you take your DUI cases to trial?
- What percentage of DUI injury cases have you successfully represented?
- How reliable are you when it comes to returning calls, answering questions, and addressing your clients’ concerns?
- Are you willing to spend the time and energy to explain all facets of the case to me, if I so wish?
- Will I be just another client in a long list, or do you make it a point to make sure all of your clients are well respected and given proper attention when needed?
- Why are you the best choice to represent me?
Have You Or A Loved One Been Injured By A Drunk Driver?
If you've been injured by a drunk driver in Texas you need to speak with an experienced drunk driver injury attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Colleyville office directly at 817.380.4888 to schedule your free consultation.
Know someone who is having a rough time choosing a lawyer to help represent him in a DUI accident case? Please, feel free to share this page with him. Sometimes having the proper information and guidance is all you need to take the first step toward justice. Help your friends get the best representation for their needs by clicking the media icons on this page, and letting them know the importance of attorney interviews to make sure they make the right choices for their confidence and comfort.