A brain injury caused by a negligent driver, business, employer, or doctor can have a devastating effect on the victim and his family. He may never fully recover from the injury and his life could be changed forever. A victim of a brain injury may no longer be able to work or take care of his basic day-to-day needs at home without assistance. However, he may be entitled to compensation for his injuries from the negligent party who caused the injury. Our experienced personal injury attorneys in Fort Worth can help brain injury victims prove the at-fault party’s negligence and fight for the compensation they will need for a lifetime of care.
Causes of Brain Injuries in Texas
A brain injury can be the result of an incident involving a violent blow or jolt to the head or an object penetrating the skull and brain. Many of the causes of brain injuries are preventable, making the injuries even more tragic. Some of the reasons victims suffer brain injuries in Fort Worth include:
- Motor vehicle accidents. Crashes involving cars, trucks, motorcycles, bicyclists, and pedestrians are one of the major causes of brain injuries. When a victim’s head is slammed against the hard surfaces of a vehicle or an object penetrates his brain, a catastrophic brain injury causing permanent damage is likely.
- Slip and fall incidents. Slip and falls and falls from heights are some of the leading causes of brain injuries. They occur when property owners fail to correct hazardous conditions on their property or to post signs warning of the dangers. Grocery stores, hospitals, restaurants, parking lots, and malls are just a few places where slip and falls regularly occur.
- Workplace incidents. Falls from heights at a construction site, being struck by a tool, getting caught in machinery, and being involved in a crash with a forklift, truck, or other vehicle are some of the ways that workers suffer brain injuries on the job. People who work in offices, stores, restaurants, hospitals, schools, and other sites also risk suffering brain injuries in a slip and fall or in a car crash if they must travel as part of the job. If an employer has opted out of providing workers’ comp benefits, an injured worker may have a non-subscriber injury claim against his company for compensation for their injuries.
- Sports. Sports activities can lead to brain injuries if a participant falls or his head is struck by a person or object. This can lead to permanent brain injury—especially common for children—if coaches fail to provide proper safety equipment or to manage the person’s concussion as it occurs.
- Violence. A blow to the head in an assault or a gunshot wound to the head can lead to a life-threatening medical emergency or death. Acts of violence can be a random or targeted to the victim. Increasingly, they are occurring at workplaces. In some cases, parties other than the perpetrator of the violence may also be negligent and responsible for compensating the victims.
Common Types of Brain Injuries You Could Suffer in Fort Worth
Brain injuries can be open head injuries where a skull fracture or object penetrates the brain or a closed head injury where the skull remains intact. While a person may recover from a mild brain injury, in many cases, the brain damage is permanent. In the most serious cases, a victim can die. Here are some common types of brain injuries caused by negligent acts:
- Concussion. A concussion can be caused by a blow to the head, such as in an auto crash or slip and fall. It can cause dizziness, loss of consciousness, headaches, confusion, and other symptoms. Repeated concussions can result in permanent brain damage.
- Contusion. This is a bruising or bleeding on the brain that is often caused by a direct blow to the head. In some cases, surgery may be required.
- Hematoma. A hematoma is a brain injury caused by bleeding within the brain or in the area between the skull and brain that can place pressure on the brain tissue. This is often a life-threatening medical condition that requires immediate medical care and surgery.
- Traumatic brain injury. This is one of the most common brain injuries caused in motor vehicle crashes, workplace incidents, and slip and falls. It can cause permanent changes to a person’s vision, hearing, and mobility. In addition, he can suffer devastating changes to his memory, concentration, reasoning, emotions, and more.
- Anoxic brain injury. This type of brain injury occurs when the brain has a lack of oxygen. It is a life-threatening medical condition that can cause the death of brain cells and permanent mobility and cognitive disabilities.
What Compensation May You Be Entitled to If You Suffer a Brain Injury
If a business, employer, motorist, or other negligent party causes you to suffer brain injuries, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. An experienced brain injury attorney can determine the value of your claim so that you receive all that you deserve in your settlement. Types of compensation awarded in these cases include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Past and future lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death damages if a loved one died as a result of his brain injuries
How Our Experienced Texas Brain Injury Attorneys Can Help
If you or a loved one suffered a brain injury due to another’s negligence in Texas, you need the assistance of a skilled brain injury attorney to prove this party’s liability and to fight for the compensation you deserve. Because you could suffer a permanent disability, the value of your claim could be larger, which can also make negotiating your settlement with the negligent party’s insurance company more challenging. Our skilled brain injury attorneys are here to thoroughly investigate the cause of your injuries and to collect the evidence you need to hold the negligent party accountable. We will aggressively fight for your rights and are not afraid to take your case to trial if the insurance company will not be reasonable. To learn about our record of success in these cases and how we can assist you, call our office or start an online chat to schedule your free consultation today.