While your claim of negligence against a drunk driver may be stronger than in another type of car crash case, you still have a duty as the victim to prove the other driver’s negligence. One strong piece of helpful information that you need to have is the police report. You should call the police at the crash scene whether you think you will file a claim or not. This will help preserve vital evidence if you later discover your vehicle was damaged more extensively than you thought or you experience symptoms of an injury—common in these wrecks.
How a Police Report Can Help Your Claim for Compensation Following a Drunk Driving Wreck
A police report is a powerful piece of evidence to provide to the insurance adjuster because it is an unbiased report by the police officer at the scene. While it is not admissible in court, the police officer can use information in the report and testify on your behalf as to what he saw and his conclusions as to who caused the wreck. A police report can provide the following helpful information to you and your attorney:
- The date, time, and place of the wreck—something the insurance company can dispute without a report
- Contact information for the other driver and his insurance company
- Contact information for passengers and witnesses to the crash—but do not rely on the police to obtain this vital information for you
- Damages to any vehicles
- Injuries to any victims
- Statements of any drivers, passengers, and witnesses
- Diagram of the crash scene
- Weather and road conditions
- Summary of how the wreck occurred and the officer’s conclusions as to who was at fault
- Traffic citations issued
- Results of any field sobriety tests
- Arrest of the drunk driver
You Still Need the Assistance of a Drunk Driving Wreck Attorney
Even if you have a police report that clearly shows the drunk driver’s negligence in causing your crash, you still need the assistance of an experienced attorney to negotiate your settlement. The drunk driver and his insurance company could try to pin the blame on you for causing the wreck or dispute the seriousness of your injuries to try to deny or reduce your claim. Our attorneys have years of experience in helping victims of drunk driving automobile wrecks. Please feel free to contact us online or call us directly at 817.380.4888 to schedule your free consultation. Find out how we can assist you in pursuing all of your options for compensation.
We help injured drunk driving victims throughout Texas including Arlington, North Richland, Grapevine, Bedford, Hurst, Euless, Irving and all points in between.