If the negligent actions of a business or individual in Grapevine caused you to suffer a catastrophic spinal cord injury and partial or total paralysis, you need the legal assistance of an experienced personal injury attorney. Spinal injuries can cause chronic pain, paralysis, and a need for life-long care and treatment. The costs of medical care and the assistance you may need in your home can be enormous. At the Hart Law Firm, our skilled attorneys are here to hold the negligent parties responsible for compensating you for your injuries so that you can focus on your recovery and start rebuilding your life.
Common Causes of Spinal Injuries
Spinal injuries are the result of damage to the vertebrae, ligaments, nerves, or disks of the spinal column or the spinal cord itself. These injuries can be caused by a sudden blow to the spine or by an object that penetrates and severs the spinal cord. Common causes of these injuries include the following:
- Motor vehicle crashes. Accounting for nearly half of all new spinal cord injuries each year, car and motorcycle crashes are the leading cause of these injuries.
- Slip and falls. Falls cause about 15 percent of all spinal cord injuries each year, many of which occur because of a property owner’s negligence in maintaining a safe environment.
- Acts of violence. Gunshot or stabbing wounds cause another 12 percent of spinal cord injuries and may occur due to negligent security, a type of premises liability claim.
Types of Spinal Injuries
The spine is comprised of soft tissue that is surrounded by bones referred to as vertebrae. The spine extends from the base of the brain downward and has many nerve cells that go to different parts of the body. The spinal cord and brain in combination make up the central nervous system and an injury to either can have devastating consequences.
Victims of negligence in Grapevine can suffer a variety of devastating injuries to the back and neck that can require long-term medical care and can cause them to become permanently disabled. Some common injuries include:
- Whiplash. Whiplash is caused by the violent jerking back and forth of the bach and neck and is a common injury caused by rear-end collisions. Symptoms can include neck pain, stiffness, and limitations in movement, headaches, fatigue, and dizziness. In more serious cases, a victim could also experience blurred vision, memory problems, sleep problems, difficulty concentrating, and more. Recovery from this injury can take months or longer.
- Herniated disc. A herniated disc involves damage to the rubbery discs that cushion the vertebrae in the spine. A herniated disc can also be referred to as a slipped or ruptured disc. It occurs when the soft jelly-like material pushes out through a tear in the exterior. The nearby nerves can be irritated, and a victim can experience pain, numbness, or weakness in an arm or leg. Treatments can include medications, physical therapy, and surgery.
- Spinal fractures. Devastating spinal fractures can be caused by the force on the spine in a car crash, fall, or sports injury. The type of treatment will depend on the location of the fracture. In minor fractures, cervical bracing may be sufficient. However, when the fracture is serious, traction, surgery, or a combination of these treatments can be required.
- Spinal cord injuries. Damage to the spinal cord and to the nerves at the end of the spinal cord can lead to partial or complete paralysis. This can cause a victim to lose some or all of the sensations and motor functions below the spinal cord injury site. A victim could experience loss of movement, lack of bowel and bladder control, spasms, pain, difficulty breathing, and many more serious complications. A person suffering with paralysis could need surgery, ongoing care, rehabilitation services, assistive aids, and other long-term treatments that can be very costly but are necessary for independence and quality of life.
Let Us Help You Fight for the Compensation You Deserve From the Negligent Party in Grapevine
If you or a loved one lives or works in Grapevine and suffered a spinal injury or paralysis due to the negligence of a business or individual, we are here to help you obtain the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Because of the catastrophic nature of your injuries, you may have to fight longer and harder with the negligent party’s insurance company to receive what you are entitled to and could need for your care—possibly for the rest of your life. Learn about our experience in fighting for the rights of victims of these injuries in Grapevine by contacting us online or calling our office directly at 817.380.4888 to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation.
In addition to Grapevine, we help injured victims throughout Texas including Arlington, North Richland, Bedford, Hurst, Euless, Irving and all points in between.