Once you retain an experienced attorney to represent you in a claim against a drunk driver, you may incorrectly believe that your job is done in terms of your claim. You may not realize that you are on a team with your attorney and that you can do things to help him represent you. However, when you work with your attorney, you may increase the strength of your claim and make settling your claim go faster.
Ways to Help Your Attorney When You Are Injured by a Drunk Driver
It is not difficult to help your lawyer build a powerful case of negligence against the drunk driver who caused your injuries. Follow these tips for assisting your attorney:
- Be honest. Your conversations with your attorney are protected by attorney-client privilege. It is critical that you are completely honest with your attorney and disclose any potentially harmful information, such as that you suffered a pre-existing injury to the same body part. When your attorney finds out damaging information from the other driver’s insurance adjuster or attorney, this weakens your claim and reduces your attorney’s ability to obtain a fair settlement for you.
- Provide a detailed description of events. Your attorney will need a chronological description of the events leading up to your crash. This will help him understand what happened and determine the value of your claim. Presenting this information in an organized fashion is helpful.
- Provide basic information. You want to provide your attorney with any information you have about the crash and your injuries. This can include providing him with a copy of the police report, pictures, medical records, contact information for the other driver and witnesses, and more.
- Respond to requests promptly. If your attorney requests information or documents from you, get this information to him quickly. He may not be able to move forward in your case until he receives it.
- Ask questions. It is important that you understand what is going on in your case and your attorney’s strategies. If you do not understand the status of your claim or what he is doing, ask questions.
- Follow your attorney’s advice. One of the best ways you can help your attorney is to follow his advice in regards to your claim. He is trying to build the strongest case possible for you, and you help him do this by following his advice on matters that could impact on this.
Were you or a loved injured in a collision caused by a drunk driver? Our experienced personal injury attorneys are here to explain your legal options to you and to fight for the compensation you deserve. Review our case results to see how we have helped other clients and then contact us online or call us directly at 817.380.4888 to schedule your free consultation.
We help injured victims throughout Texas including Arlington, North Richland, Grapevine, Bedford, Hurst, Euless, Irving and all points in between.