If you are hurt in a drunk driving collision, one of the first documents that you will want to collect is a copy of the police report. You will need it to file a claim for compensation with the negligent driver’s insurance company. In addition, if you decide to file a claim with your own insurance company—for your vehicle repair or Police Accident Reportuninsured motorist coverage—your adjuster will request a copy of the report.

The police report can also contain other important information that will help you prove your case. This can include the negligent driver’s statement, contact information for the driver, his insurance company, and witnesses, and whether the other driver was issued a citation or arrested. The report can be used to persuade the other driver’s adjuster of his negligence and to settle your claim.

Information You Will Need to Obtain a Police Report

The best information to have available when ordering a police report is the accident or incident report number. The police officer at the scene of the crash should provide you with it. If you do not have it, you can still get your police report. However, you will need to provide this information:

  • Date of the wreck
  • Location of the wreck
  • Names of any drivers involved in the wreck

How Do You Obtain a Copy of a Police Report?

You will need to know which police department responded to the car crash and investigated your collision. You have three options for obtaining the police report:

Police department.

You can order a copy of the police report directly from the police department who investigated your crash. You should check the department website for instructions, but generally you must do so by mail or in person and pay a small fee.


You can obtain a certified or regular copy of the police report through the Texas Department of Transportation Crash Report Online Purchase System. You will also have to pay a small fee when ordering the police report in this manner.

Your attorney.

If you hire an experienced drunk driving attorney soon after your wreck—always a good idea—he will obtain a copy of the police report.

Have You Or A Loved One Been Injured By A Drunk Driver?

If you've been injured by a drunk driver in Texas you need to speak with an experienced drunk driver injury attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Colleyville office directly at 817.485.8888 to schedule your free consultation.

David Hart
Connect with me
Helping victims throughout Fort Worth, Arlington, North Richland, Grapevine, Bedford, Hurst and points between