Uber and Lyft are increasingly popular ride-sharing alternatives to hiring a taxi when you need a ride to work, to do errands to visit friends, or when you are on vacation. Drivers working for these companies use their own vehicles to transport passengers. Unlike traditional taxi companies, Uber and Lyft require you to download an app on your smartphone to arrange for and pay for your ride. While this can be more convenient and cheaper than hiring a taxi, it can be more complicated obtaining compensation from a company if your Uber and Lyft driver causes your accident rather than a taxi driver. Some of these unique factors include:
- The driver’s vehicle is used for personal and commercial use.
- Uber and Lyft do not consider the drivers their employees.
- The vehicles are owned by the driver instead of the company.
What Uber and Lyft Insurance Policies Will Pay If Their Driver Caused Your Injuries
Uber and Lyft require their drivers to carry automobile insurance on the vehicles they use to transport passengers. Insurance coverage could work as follows if an Uber or Lyft driver causes your accident:
- The driver’s insurance policy would have primary liability for compensating passengers for their injuries.
- The driver’s insurance policy may not cover an accident if it is a personal automobile insurance policy as these policies often exclude coverage when the driver is driving for hire. The driver should—but often does not—purchase a commercial policy or one of the newer policies tailored to ride-hailing drivers.
- Uber and Lyft carry insurance that applies if their driver is transporting people through their service, but these policies are secondary to the driver’s own insurance policy.
- Liability under Uber and Lyft insurance policies can be even more complicated when the driver is on the clock and waiting for a passenger request or en route to pick up a passenger when the accident occurs.
Have You Been Injured In A Texas Taxi Accident?
If you've been injured in a taxi accident you should speak with an experienced taxi accident attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Colleyville office directly at 817.485.8888 to schedule your free consultation.