Like many people visiting or living in the Dallas and Fort Worth area, you may have needed to take a taxicab to get where you were going. While hiring a taxi can be convenient, it can also be dangerous if the taxicab driver causes a crash. Your injuries could be more serious—especially to your face, head, and brain—because of the likelihood that your head hit the glass or plastic partition. This experience can be even more traumatic if you do not live in the area and are here for business or a vacation—possibly alone. However, you may be entitled to compensation from the taxi driver and the taxicab company for your expensive medical bills, lost wages, and emotional trauma.
5 Things You Should Do Right After Your Taxi Accident
If you are physically able to, you should take steps immediately after your accident to preserve your possible claim for compensation. You should do the following:
- Seek medical treatment. Even if you believe your injuries are minor, you should seek medical treatment to document them. Some injuries—such as brain damage, back pain, neck injuries, and internal bleeding—may not appear as the serious conditions they are until weeks or longer after your accident.
- Call the police. You should call the police at the accident scene and obtain a copy of the police report. You will need it to make a claim with the insurance companies for the taxi driver and the taxicab company.
- Collect contact information. You will need the contact information for the driver, the taxicab company, and their insurance companies, the taxi registration number, the driver’s license number, and the license plate number.
- Take pictures. If possible, you should take pictures of any injuries, the accident scene, the damage to the taxi and any other vehicles, and license plate numbers. This can help you document how the accident occurred and your initial injuries.
- Interview witnesses. Obtain the contact information of any witnesses and talk to them about what happened. Witnesses can be extremely helpful in confirming the cause of your crash.
- Contact an attorney. You should contact an experienced taxi accident attorney as soon as possible. He can negotiate with the insurance companies for you and file a lawsuit if necessary before the statute of limitations to do so expires.
If you or a family member was injured in a taxi accident, we understand the stress and financial hardship you are going through and are here to help. Call us at (817) 380-4888 to schedule a free consultation to learn about your legal options.