If you are injured in a car accident while taking your kids to Legoland, going to eat at one of our 200 restaurants, or commuting to work in Dallas or Fort Worth, you need to hold the negligent driver responsible for compensating you for your injuries. When pursuing your claim with his insurance company, you need to be smart and understand some of the tactics that the insurance company could employ to deny or reduce your claim. Unless you only suffered a minor injury, you should expect that you will be under surveillance at some point during the settlement process.
Understanding the Reasons Behind Insurance Company Surveillance in Grapevine Can Help You Protect Yourself
Auto insurance companies investigating claims against the drivers they insure in Grapevine often hire a private investigator to spy on victims, so you should not feel singled out if they do this to you. It is important to understand what they hope to gain from this. The insurance company may spy on you for these reasons:
- To catch you working at a side job in Grapevine when you claim that you are too injured to work
- To catch you engaging in an activity that you should not be able to do due to your injuries, such as lifting heavy boxes or engaging in sports activities
- To take pictures of you going into locations, such as Round1 Bowling & Amusement, as proof that you are not as injured as you claim, even if you just went there to eat
- To find out other helpful information that could discredit you as a witness
When Will the Insurance Company Hire a Private Investigator?
The insurance company can retain a private investigator to spy on you at any time after you file your car crash claim. He may do this more than once and may do so at vital times in your case, such as before your deposition or your jury trial. The private investigator cannot go into your house in Grapevine without your permission. However, he can park on your street and take pictures and video of you going into or out of your home, to the doctor, running errands, or to any public place.
How Else Can the Insurance Company Spy on Me?
The insurance company or their private investigator could also investigate you in other ways. This can include the following:
- Interviewing friends, neighbors, co-workers, and family
- Searching your social media sites for posts, pictures, and videos that suggest you are exaggerating your injuries or where you make damaging statements
- Examining your medical records for pre-existing injuries or evidence that you missed appointments or did not follow your doctor’s advice
Have You Been Injured In A Texas Car Accident?
If you've been hurt in a Texas car accident you need to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Colleyville office directly at 817.380.4888 to schedule your free consultation.
We help injured victims throughout Texas including Arlington, North Richland, Grapevine, Bedford, Hurst, Euless, Irving and all points in between.