Losing a loved one in a truck wreck can be even more devastating when it was caused by a negligent truck driver or trucking company. It can be overwhelming to consider your right to compensation for the death of your family member when you are coping with grief over the loss of your loved one. Our experienced truck wreck attorneys understand how challenging this time is and are here to fight for the compensation you deserve so that you can focus on the grieving process.
Causes of Fatalities in Truck Collisions
In 2016, 3,986 people were killed in truck crashes, with the majority of victims being occupants of motor vehicles. There are many ways truck drivers in Euless cause these collisions, including the following:
- Distracted driving
- Drowsy driving
- Inexperience and lack of training
- Failing to obey traffic rules
- Failing to drive for weather conditions
- Failing to inspect or maintain the truck
- Improperly loading or securing the truck
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Action in Euless?
A wrongful death action can be brought in Texas when the "wrongful act, neglect, carelessness, unskillfulness, or default" of one or more parties causes the death of another. Not all family members have the right to bring a wrongful death action for the loss of a loved one. Only these surviving family members are eligible to do so:
- Spouse. A person can be considered a spouse by common law or legal marriage. This is true even if they were separated at the time of death.
- Parents. This includes adoptive and biological parents, but not grandparents or stepparents.
- Children. This includes biological and adopted children.
Compensation You May Be Entitled to in a Euless Wrongful Death Truck Case
In a wrongful death action for the death of a family member in a truck crash, money is awarded to compensate the surviving family and the deceased’s estate. Compensation that is often awarded in these cases includes:
- Lost earning capacity of the deceased
- Lost care, services, support, and advice that the deceased person would have provided to surviving family members
- Reasonable funeral and burial expenses
- Medical expenses of the deceased person caused by the truck wreck
- Mental anguish and pain and suffering
- Lost love, companionship, and comfort
- Lost inheritance, including amounts the deceased would have saved if he had lived a normal life
- Punitive damages to punish the truck driver and trucking company if their actions were grossly negligent
Was a loved one killed in a truck crash in Euless? Let our experienced truck wreck attorneys take over the burden of investigating your crash, collecting the evidence you need to prove the trucker’s and trucking company’s negligence, and negotiating your settlement with the insurance company. To learn about your legal options, start an online chat to schedule your initial consultation today.