Couple Worried About Bills The Hart Law FirmOnce your medical condition stabilizes after you suffer a workplace injury, your next major worry may be how to pay for the expensive medical treatments you will need, other bills, and living expenses during the months or longer when you are off work recovering. This can be even more stressful when you work for a non-subscriber employer because you will not be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. You may have to file a lawsuit against your employer to obtain the compensation you deserve. How do you pay your medical and other bills until you receive your settlement?

How to Pay Medical Bills While Your Workplace Injury Claim Is Pending

Figuring out how to pay your medical bills while your claim is pending may be more manageable than you think. Here are some options to consider:

Your health insurance.

If you have health insurance, your health insurance provider can pay your medical bills and be reimbursed for what they paid when your case settles or is decided at trial.

Medical lien.

A medical lien is a legal agreement between you and your medical providers where they agree to delay receiving payment of your medical bills until you receive your settlement. The agreement gives them a security agreement or legal right to receive their payment once your attorney receives your settlement money. An experienced workplace injury attorney can work with your medical providers and draft this agreement.

Working with your doctors.

Another alternative is for your attorney to help you work with your medical providers to reduce what you owe, make payment arrangements, or work out an agreement to wait until your claim is resolved to receive their payment.

Paying Your Living Expenses While Your Claim Is Pending

You may have a more challenging time paying your living expenses and bills when you have no paycheck coming in. If you are like most people, you probably have been relying on your paycheck to pay these monthly expenses. Here are ways to manage your bills until your settlement is completed:

  • You may have to prioritize what is paid and pay the essential expenses, such as your mortgage or rent, auto loan, insurance, utilities, and food.
  • You may qualify for lawsuit financing, which will give you a loan to use to pay your bills and expenses in exchange for a certain portion of your settlement. You need to be careful to work with a reputable company if you select this option and discuss it with your attorney before making any decisions. You should also have your attorney review any agreement before you sign it.
  • You may be able to work with your creditors to reduce your payments or delay payments while your claim is pending. However, this option is less feasible for the essential expenses listed above.

Have You Been Injured At Your Texas Job And Your Employer Doesn't Provide Workers' Compensation?

If you've been injured on the job and your employer is non-subscriber you need to speak with an experienced work injury lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our our Colleyville office directly at 817.485.8888 to schedule your free consultation.

We help injured workers throughout Texas including Arlington, North Richland, Grapevine, Bedford, Hurst, Euless, Irving and all points in between.

David Hart
Connect with me
Helping victims throughout Fort Worth, Arlington, North Richland, Grapevine, Bedford, Hurst and points between