Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: (817) 380-4888
The Hart Law Firm

Texas Minimum Auto Insurance Requirements: Insufficient to Protect You in a Crash

Even if you are a careful driver, you could make a mistake and cause a car accident. You want to be protected under your auto insurance policy for any compensation you could owe to the injured victim if this happens. Unfortunately, the minimum required auto insurance you must purchase under Texas law will not sufficiently protect you whether you are the negligent driver or the victim of a crash.

Man shopping for car insurance on a computerRequired Auto Insurance Coverage in Texas

You are required to pay for the injuries and damages you cause in a crash. Under Texas law, you must purchase a certain amount of liability insurance as an owner of a passenger vehicle. This basic insurance coverage is often referred to as 30/60/25 coverage. It requires you to have these liability limits:

  • $30,000 for each injured person per crash
  • $60,000 for personal injuries per crash
  • $25,000 for property damage per crash

Unfortunately, these liability amounts do not adequately protect you given the high cost of vehicle repairs and medical care. A person who suffers a relatively minor injury could spend well over $30,000 in medical bills. To protect yourself, you need to purchase additional liability coverage.

Additional Insurance Coverage You Need If You Are the Victim of a Crash

While the negligent driver who caused your accident would be responsible for compensating you, he may not have sufficient insurance coverage to pay your losses—especially if he has 30/60/25 coverage. Even worse, he may be driving with no insurance coverage in violation of Texas law. You do have the option of suing him for the additional amount you are owed, but the reality is that few people have the money or other assets to pay the huge amount you could be entitled to. Your best option is to purchase these insurance coverages:

  • Uninsured coverage to pay you if the other driver has no insurance
  • Underinsured coverage to pay you your additional losses if the other driver has insurance, but the coverage is not sufficient to compensate you
  • Collision insurance to pay for repairs to your vehicle
  • Medical payments to cover your medical expenses
  • Comprehensive insurance to cover your vehicle if it is damaged by a flood, vandalism, fire, or other covered crashes.

If you or a family member was injured in a car accident, the Hart Law Firm is here to help. We will help you pursue all avenues of insurance and take the steps you need to take to receive the compensation you deserve. Call us today at (817) 380-4888 to schedule a free consultation.

David Hart
Connect with me
Helping victims throughout Arlington, North Richland, Grapevine, Bedford, Hurst, Eules and all points between.

Live Chat