With the hectic pace life today, people are often in a great hurry to get where they are going. As a result, they get into the dangerous habit of speeding—even more unsafe on the contested roads and highways in the Dallas and Fort Worth areas. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), speeding is a cause of 28 percent of fatalities in auto wrecks and resulted in the deaths of 9,262 victims in 2014. Even though they know the dangers of speeding, negligent drivers continue this dangerous practice on Texas roads, resulting in many victims suffering devastating injuries or deaths.
Why Speeding Is So Dangerous
Speeding not only is the cause of many crashes, but it also makes them worse. Reasons speeding is so unsafe include:
- The force of the impact is greater when it occurs at high speeds.
- Speeding causes more severe damage to the automobiles—and injuries to the victims.
- A driver’s reaction time is slower when he is speeding—all at a time when he has even less time to react to a hazardous condition on the road.
- A driver who is speeding is more likely to lose control of his car.
- Turns become harder to navigate at high speeds.
- A driver is less able to react to a bump in the road or to slow down for a construction zone or crash when traveling at high speeds.
Common Reasons Drivers Cause Speeding Collisions
Drivers cause speeding crashes for a number of reasons other than being late to where they are going. Some of these reasons include:
- Aggressive driving
- Intoxication due to alcohol or drug use
- Driving too fast for weather conditions
- Driving too fast for road conditions, like a traffic wreck or construction
Have You Been Injured In A Texas Car Accident?
If you've been hurt in a Texas car accident you need to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Colleyville office directly at 817.485.8888 to schedule your free consultation.