Many people rent vehicles when they take a vacation or a business trip. Not many people visiting the Dallas and Fort Worth area could get around without doing this. While using a rental car can be extremely convenient, it can be more than a hassle if someone hits you while you are driving it.
Six Steps You Need to Take If You Are Involved in an Accident While Driving a Rental Vehicle
Car accidents are always stressful, but they can be even more traumatic if you suffer serious injuries due to someone’s negligence when you are in a strange town where you may not even know anyone. Fortunately, you could be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and emotional trauma if you are driving a rental car the same as if you were driving your own vehicle. Here are the steps you need to take after the crash:
- Report the crash to the police. You need to report the crash to the police and obtain a copy of the police report for any insurance companies involved and the car rental company.
- Report the crash to the car rental company. Even if you did not purchase insurance when renting your vehicle, you will need to report the wreck to the car rental company and follow their instructions regarding what to do with the damaged vehicle.
- Review your automobile insurance. Review your own insurance policy as it may cover some of your losses.
- Check with the credit card company. The credit card you used to rent the vehicle could provide insurance coverage to pay for the rental car’s damages. Find out what the coverage is and what you need to do to file a claim.
- Report the crash to the other driver’s insurance company. Notify the other driver’s insurance company like you would do if you were driving your own vehicle.
- Contact an experienced car crash attorney. You will need an experienced car crash attorney to help you prove the other driver’s negligence in causing the crash. He can also help you deal with your insurance company, your credit card company, and the car rental company.
If you or a family member has been injured in an accident where you were driving a rental car, we understand the extra stress this could be causing you—especially if you do not live here—and are here to explain your legal options and the compensation you could be entitled to. Start an online chat to schedule a free, no obligation consultation to learn how we can help you.