If you have made the smart decision to hire a construction accident attorney to negotiate your workplace injury claim, your job is not done. You will need to research attorneys to narrow your list to a few good candidates to hire. Then you want to take advantage of most attorneys’ free initial consultation offer to learn more about your legal options and to conduct interviews so you can pick a qualified attorney who is right for you and your case. To do this, you need to come prepared with a list of questions.
Questions to Ask at Your Initial Appointment With a Construction Accident Attorney
You can obtain referrals to attorneys who handle construction cases from friends, family, co-workers, lawyers you have used in the past who do not handle these cases, a state bar association referral, or an Internet search. When researching attorneys and interviewing them, you are looking for someone who has:
- Experience handling cases like yours
- A good track record of success
- A passion for your case
- Good communication skills that make you feel you can trust him
Your initial consultation with an attorney will give you a good sense of whether he is qualified and someone you want to hire. You should come prepared with a list of questions and tell the attorney at the beginning of the interview that you want to leave time for them. Questions you should consider asking include:
- How long has he been practicing in the construction accident area of law?
- What percentage of his practice is this type of case?
- If your employer has opted out of workers’ compensation, ask: What percentage of his practice is this type of case and how familiar is he with Texas’ non-subscriber employer laws?
- What is his record of success both in settling these cases and taking them to trial?
- What is the typical range of settlement for a case like yours?
- How much will he charge you?
- How much does he anticipate costs, like expert witness fees, to be? Do you pay them up front or does he cover them and deduct them from your settlement?
- How long does he anticipate it will take to resolve your case?
If you are looking for an attorney to represent you in your construction accident case, review our case results to see how we have helped other workers. Then start an online chat to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with our experienced construction and non-subscriber workplace accident attorneys.