The Colleyville car accident attorneys at The Hart Law Firm have provided the list below from the “Teens in the Driver Seat” organization to help you talk to your teen about driving safely. Raising awareness to your teen of the top five causes of teen auto accidents may begin to curb these horrible wrecks.
- Night driving – This is the biggest crash risk factor in teen driving. In 2009, 61 percent of teen car crashes occurred between 6:00 pm and 6:00 am. Studies show this is due to low visibility, drowsiness that leads to a slow response time, and a lack of experienced night driving.
- Speeding and street racing – Teens may think they are safe when driving over the speed limit. But, when a speeding driver begins to brake, he already may be too close to the danger in front of him.
- Distractions – Cell phones, the radio, and other passengers can all distract a driver. These things can take your eyes off the road, a hand off the wheel, or take your mind off of driving.
- Not wearing a seat belt – Aside from the annual 1,880 teen deaths nationwide due to not wearing a seat belt, you can be ticketed for not wearing one. Seat belts, when worn properly, save over 13,000 lives per year.
- Driving while intoxicated – In 2009, 19 percent of fatal crashes involved 16-20 year-old drivers with a BAC of .08 percent or higher. That means nearly one in five fatal teen car wrecks were alcohol-related.
Your Colleyville car accident lawyers are here to help if you or a loved one has been involved in a car wreck. We represent clients throughout the great state of Texas including Irving, Grapevine, Arlington, Colleyville, North Richland, Bedford, Hurst, Euless and all points in between. Contact us online or call us directly at 817.830.4888 for your free consultation.