We are just into the new year, and as of January 21 there are an estimated 195 U.S. teen car crash deaths – about nine deaths per day. Each year, car crashes are the cause of half of teen deaths in America. The common thread with these crashes is when one teen is driving another teen. The Colleyville car crash attorneys at The Hart Law Firm want to help keep your teen and family safe while on the road.
According to “Teens in the Driver Seat,” the top five causes of teen car crashes are:
- Driving between the hours of 6:00 pm and 6:00 am,
- Speeding and street racing,
- Driving distractions,
- Not wearing a seat belt, and
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
In an effort to curb the teen car accident epidemic, Texas is using a teen-mentoring program to teach other teens about driving, called “Teens in the Driver Seat.” Started in 2002, it is the first peer-to-peer program for teen driving. The program focuses on traffic safety and the above five causes of accidents. Is this program effective? The proof is in the numbers:
- Texas teen fatal accidents have dropped by forty percent
- Texas is the only state where fatal teen crashes have decreased every year since 2002
- Garland, located in Dallas County, has seen only one teen traffic death since the implementation of “Teens in the Driver Seat”
More than 500 schools in Texas are using this teen program, reaching over 500,000 teens per year. The car crash lawyers at The Hart Law Firm applaud this program for offering proper education to teens and reducing the number of teen-related car accidents.
Have You Been Injured In A Texas Car Accident?
If you've been hurt in a Texas car accident you need to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Colleyville office directly at 817.485.8888 to schedule your free consultation.