If you don't actively try to drive defensively you may be. Defensive driving has a bad rap as something only drivers ed students need to learn about. However, defensive driving has been proven to prevent accidents and save lives.
What is considered defensive driving?
Drivers that drive defensively and avoid auto crashes in Southlake, TX and across the country, tend to:
- Pay attention- Though this is obvious, not allowing yourself to become distracted while driving is key to avoiding a crash. Defensive drivers keep their eyes on the road.
- Watch the vehicles around them- While you may be paying attention to the cars around you, they may not be doing the same. Pay special attention to cars that are driving erratically, and be sure to check traffic a few cars ahead of you to ensure that traffic has not suddenly stopped. Inattention is traffic is a major cause of collisions in Southlake.
- Always yield the right of way- Never assume that the other driver will yield to you. Though doing so may cost you a few seconds, it may prevent a serious collision.
- Keep their eyes on aggressive drivers- If a driver honks at you, makes an aggressive gesture or tailgates, do not follow suit. Get out of the way of an aggressive driver, keep your eyes on the road and avoid eye contact.
- Take a refresher course- While you may think defensive driving classes are reserved for people who have been given a traffic ticket, courses are available for everyone. Taking a short course, either in a classroom or online, can help remind you of the safety measures you, as an experienced driver, may have forgotten.
What if I am hit, despite my best efforts at safe driving?
If you are hit by a driver in Texas, your first step should be to seek medical attention.
Have You Been Injured In A Texas Car Accident?
If you've been hurt in a Texas car accident you need to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Colleyville office directly at 817.380.4888 to schedule your free consultation.