A basic driving skill that any driver should know is how to safely change lanes. This is even more critical for a driver who can easily causes a catastrophic truck wreck due to the size and weight of a fully-loaded truck—up to 80,000 pounds. However, truckers in a rush to deliver their loads can drive aggressively and change lanes in an unsafe manner, causing victims of these wrecks to suffer life-changing injuries or death.
What Are the Causes of Unsafe Lane Changing Crashes?
Trucker error and aggressive driving are usually the root causes of lane changing crashes. Here are some of the ways truckers cause these wrecks:
- Engaging in distracted driving, like eating and drinking, talking on a cellphone, or texting
- Driving when fatigued or driving longer than hours of service regulations allow
- Failing to signal before changing lanes
- Changing lanes when speeding
- Changing lanes while in an intersection
- Weaving between lanes
- Failing to properly check the large blind spots around the truck before changing lanes
- Misjudging the truck’s distance to other nearby vehicles
- Driving while intoxicated
- Purposely cutting other drivers off when changing lanes
Can You Hold the Trucking Company Responsible for the Trucker’s Negligence in Causing a Lane Change Collision?
In Texas, trucking companies can be held liable if their driver was acting negligently within the course of his employment. In addition, if the trucking company negligently hired the truck driver when he was not qualified or experienced enough to drive a truck, this could be another claim you could raise. Finally, if the trucking company encouraged the trucker to drive longer than allowed under federal law and this caused your injuries, you would have a separate claim against the trucking company.
Were you or a family member injured in a truck lane-change wreck? You could be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. The experienced truck wreck attorneys at the Hart Law Firm are committed to fighting for the compensation you deserve. Contact us online or call us directly at 817.380.4888 to schedule a free case evaluation. We help injured victims throughout Texas including Arlington, North Richland, Grapevine, Bedford, Hurst, Euless, Irving and all points in between.