Every year, hundreds of motorcycle rallies take place in Texas. Bike races and bicycle tours traverse the state in a continuous pack; two-wheel clubs and societies host weeklong events for bike fans and enthusiasts. Sure, the traffic is increased, but they're bikers-surely the chances of a crash are drastically reduced, right?
Perhaps not. For one thing, there is no mandatory helmet law in Texas for bicyclists or motorcycle riders. A cyclist over the age of 21 need only have a license and proof of medical insurance to legally ride without a helmet. Also, many of these riders come from all over America to participate in races, increasing the density of the pack and decreasing space between riders.
What does that mean for rider safety?
- Cross-country biking carries different risks than ordinary commuting, including increased fatigue, weather exposure, and dehydration.
- Tourists attending an out-of-state rally may be unfamiliar with the geography or roads and trails, and must be hyper-alert of the planned routes and unexpected weather changes.
- Some attendees may have logged thousands of miles alone, but never ridden in a large group. This may affect stopping distance, steering, and maintaining a constant speed-all potential hazards for a crash.
- Races and rallies often involve evening celebrations or "night rides." Riding in the dark compromises sight distance and increases the risk of a crash, especially for those unfamiliar with the area.
- Bicycle helmets reduce the risk of head injury by 85%. Motorcycle helmets offer even more protection, since motorcycles travel at higher speeds.
- Nearly one-fifth of all fatal bike crashes could have been prevented of the rider were wearing a helmet.
- The estimated cost of a single case of traumatic brain injury is $4.8 million dollars.
- Children and minors are required to wear helmets in almost every state.
At The Hart Law Firm, we both care about your safety and protect your rights. Have you been injured in a Dallas motorcycle crash or bike crash? You need to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. We represent clients throughout the great state of Texas including Irving, Grapevine, Arlington, Colleyville, North Richland, Bedford, Hurst, Euless and all points in between. Contact us online or call us directly at 817.830.4888 for your free consultation.