According to the American School Bus Council and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, your child is safer taking the school bus to school than he is if you drive him. Here are the numbers to help you make the best choice for your children:
- Students are 50 times more likely to arrive safely to school when taking a school bus than when being driven.
- School buses are built with safety in mind and are more regularly maintained than the average personal vehicle.
- School buses use cross-view mirrors, are brightly colored, use stop-arm signs, and follow strictly-enforced bus traffic laws.
- Annual average of student fatalities traveling during normal school hours:
- By school bus – 1%
- By teen driver – 58%
- By adult driver – 23%
- Eighty-five crashes occurred between 2000 and 2009. Half of those were the result of another vehicle.
- On average, 19 students die in school-related transportations each year; 6 are occupants of the school-related transportation and 13 are pedestrians.
- The high-alert hours for school-aged pedestrian deaths are 3:00pm to 4:00pm.
A Bedford school bus accident is a horrible ordeal, whether your child is on the bus or is a pedestrian victim. Your Bedford personal injury attorneys from The Hart Law Firm are on your side and will bring their experience and expertise to your case. If you or your child is a Bedford bus accident victim, please call us for a free consultation at (800) 856-2347.
Be sure you know what your rights are and what you should expect from top-notch representation by ordering our free book, Your Texas Personal Injury Case: Don't Get Hammered, Strong-Armed, or Thrown to the Dogs.