A primary worry if you are considering pursuing a claim against the negligent trucker who caused your injuries may be the cost to hire an attorney. This is a legitimate concern when you are already struggling with expensive medical bills and the loss of your wages while you are off work recovering from your injuries. However, the good news is that you should be able to afford an experienced truck wreck attorney to negotiate your settlement for you.
How Do Attorneys Charge Their Fees in Truck Injury Claims?
Most truck wreck attorneys charge their fees on a contingency basis. This means that they only are owed attorney fees if you receive money through a settlement or at trial. Here’s how contingency fee arrangements work:
- You would pay the attorney an agreed-upon percentage of your award at the time you are paid by the negligent party. This would be directly deducted from your settlement proceeds.
- If you lose your case, you would owe no attorney fees.
Fees and Expenses You Could Owe
In addition to attorney fees, you could owe fees and costs associated with filing your claim and lawsuit, if this becomes necessary. Some attorneys will require you to pay these fees and costs up front. Others will pay them for you and deduct what you owe from your settlement. Fees and costs that you may owe include:
- Fee to file your complaint with the court
- Service fees that are paid to a process server to serve the defendants with your summons and complaint
- Expert witness fees
- Fees to obtain copies of your medical records and other records
- Deposition fees and costs of deposition transcripts
Focus on Experience as Well as Cost in Selecting Your Attorney
While the cost to hire an attorney is a consideration in deciding who to retain, the attorney’s experience in handling truck wreck claims is more important. These claims are complicated because of the seriousness of the injuries, federal regulations that may have been violated, and the increased value of many victims’ claims. You need an attorney who is experienced in representing clients in these cases and has successfully settled them. You also want an attorney who you trust and communicates frequently and well with you.
If you or a family member suffered injuries due to a trucker’s negligence, review our case results to see how we have helped other clients like you. Contact us online or call us directly at 817.380.4888 to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation.