If you are considering filing a claim with a negligent trucker’s insurance company for your injuries, an important question you need to have answered is what the value of your claim is. This can help you determine whether it would be worth your time and effort to file a claim and to fight to obtain the compensation you deserve. While an experienced truck wreck attorney cannot guarantee a precise settlement amount, he can give you guidance on how much your truck crash claim may be worth.
What Factors Will Influence the Compensation You Receive for Your Injuries?
A truck wreck attorney can determine the strength of your claim and its potential value by looking at a number of factors that influence the value of an injury claim in general and the specific facts of your case. This is not something that you can accurately do on your own. You need an attorney who has handled many truck wreck claims and has a record of success to evaluate this for you. Some of the factors that will determine your claim’s worth include:
- Liability. When there are serious issues about the truck driver’s liability for causing your wreck, this can weaken your claim and make it more challenging to convince the insurance adjuster to agree to a settlement of your claim. When there are real questions about the cause of the wreck, you may have to be realistic and settle for less if you hope to reach a settlement of your claim. In contrast, if the negligence of the trucker is clear cut, the value of your claim will increase.
- Comparative negligence. If the trucker has a legitimate claim that you were partially at fault in causing the crash, this could also reduce the value of your claim. For example, if you were 30 percent at fault in causing the wreck, you would only be entitled to 70 percent of the total compensation that you are owed.
- Severity of your injuries. The value of your claim will be more if you suffered long-term or life-altering injuries, become permanently disabled, or are filing a wrongful death action due to the death of a loved one. The medical bills, lost wages, and emotional damages portions of your claim will be larger if your injuries are severe, making your overall claim worth more.
- Amount of insurance coverage. The reality is that the insurance companies for the trucker and his employer will only owe compensation up to the liability coverage limit of the insurance policy. You will be more likely to receive the compensation you deserve if the insurance coverage is substantial and sufficient to cover your damages.
- Hiring an experienced truck wreck attorney. An experienced truck wreck attorney will increase the value of your claim due to his experience handling cases such as yours and his reputation for successfully resolving these claims. He will understand the importance of a thorough investigation, will be able to accurately value your claim, and will not be afraid to take your case to jury trial if this becomes necessary.
Did a negligent trucker cause your truck crash? Contact us online or call us directly at 817.380.4888 to schedule a free consultation to discuss your wreck, the value of your claim, and what the Hart Law Firm can do to help you obtain the compensation that you deserve. We help injured victims throughout Texas including Arlington, North Richland, Grapevine, Bedford, Hurst, Euless, Irving and all points in between.