The sad truth is that motorcycle crashes often cause serious injuries to riders. In order to prevent motorcyclists from suffering severe and even life-threatening injuries, it is important that bikers learn how to drive defensively. This is especially the case at intersections.
The majority of motorcycle crashes occur at intersections when other drivers attempt to make left-hand turns and end up pulling out in front of motorcycles. Because these crashes can cause serious injuries, it is always best for bikers to learn how to avoid motorcycle crashes of this nature.
Defensive Driving Tips for Motorcyclists
Although motorcycle crashes are often caused by other drivers in the Dallas area, motorcyclists can do their part to reduce the risk of being in a crash by driving defensively. Here are some defensive driving tips to help keep bikers stay safe at intersections:
- Obey the speed limit and slow down when approaching an intersection.
- Always be scanning the road and looking at the cars traveling in the opposite direction in front of you.
- Obey the road rules and traffic signals.
- Be extra alert and observant nearing intersections.
- Don’t take unnecessary risks.
- Don’t assume another driver sees you or will stop for you.
- Use turn signals when changing lanes or to signal a turn.
- Don’t drive in another car’s blind spot.
- Adjust your riding for the road and weather conditions.
- Think about the potential hazards at intersections so you can react in time and be as prepared as possible.
Because bikers are often injured in crashes due to careless, reckless, and negligent drivers, defensive driving is key to a motorcyclist’s safety. Please share these tips on Twitter to help save a motorcyclist’s life.